Sunday, October 30, 2011

Backing Up

Sometimes in life you think you can do more than you can.

I have learned this week that I really can't. I can't work part time, keep up with my house, cart my three kids around, be a part time volleyball coach, play soccer, and participate in NaNo.

So I'm following Angela Felsted's lead and I'm going to back up a bit. I'm going to shoot for a half NaNo instead. If I'm able to write more than great, but if not that's okay. I'm just going to try and write as much as I can.

Sometimes we need to do this with our writing. When I first started editing my book, I'd try to fix everything in one pass. I'd watch the grammar, the dialogue, the continuity, the pacing. I soon learned I couldn't do it all at once. I needed to concentrate on a few things at a time. This worked much better.

So good luck to everyone who's starting NaNo tomorrow and happy Halloween.


14 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

Any progess is good! I love doing half nanos! Good luck!

Anne Gallagher said...

I found I can't do editing in one pass either. Although by the time I'm finished I hate my book. Good luck with your half NaNo!

Bish Denham said...

Getting some done is certainly better than getting nothing done.

LTM said...

A half-NaNo... it's like a Nanner split! yes? Can I copyright that? LOL!

do what you can and good luck! Happy Halloween~ :o) <3

Melissa Amateis said...

I agree - any progress is good progress. Have fun!

Southpaw said...

Yup, I've seen the light too. In order to make real progress I have to take a step back or sideways or something.

Carol Riggs said...

Good for you, being realistic in your goals. You'll still get a lot accomplished with just half a NaNo! And I always TRY to do my editing/revision in one pass--just too hard to do!!

i'm erin. said...

I love that you are being realistic. I always take on more than I can chew. You inspire me.

Janna Leadbetter said...

Hi, Patti!

I think that's great. We should be allowed to give ourselves a break from time to time, especially with writng and home life. I think it keeps us out of our own way, and leads to better success. Not more, necessarily, but better.

Donna K. Weaver said...

I loved a lesson I taught once to the young women at my church. The message was that we can do anything we want in life, but we can't do everything. We have to pick and choose, prioritize.

Melissa Hurst said...

I think stepping back and making realistic goals is much better than setting something unrealistic and feeling like a failure if the goal isn't reached.

Good luck with your half NaNo:D

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Good for you, Patti! Good luck! I'm going to use NaNo to try to finish my revisions/edits. :-)

Robyn Campbell said...

Shooting for half is great too, Patti. I am not doing NaNo this year. I am swamped with revisions. But I'll cheer you on. Good luck, my friend. And never try to do everything. There really is no such thing as Super Woman. (((hugs)))

Stina said...

I think that's a great idea. My NaNo will take place during December, once I've finish planning the book during November.