Friday, June 8, 2012

Friday Favorites

This week one of my favorite things has been Game of Thrones. The story telling is amazing. Even with all the violence, swearing, and intimate scenes.

I haven't actually watched a full episode, because I don't have HBO, but I've seen scenes on youtube. And I recently discovered an episode breakdown on HBO.com.

For each episode they have a recap and a thing called "Inside the Episode" where the writers of the show break down the characters on the show. They talk about their history and how it affects their choices, their feelings, and their motivations. I found it intriguing to watch, and a good lesson on how to analyze your characters.

As a reader, I've always thought that I liked books that were more focused on plot than character, but I'm beginning to rethink that. I think I lean more toward character driven books now.

What about you? Do you focus on plot or characters first?

I put a link to the first "inside the episode" podcast, but sometimes my videos don't always work. Anyway if you go to youtube and type in "Inside of the episode - game of thrones", they'll show up. And my apologizes, I think there may be a little bit of swearing in this clip.


Have a good weekend.

13 comments:

Connie Keller said...

I haven't seen any of the episodes, but I did read a few of the books. Eventually, I stopped--too many of the characters I loved kept getting killed off, and a friend told me it only got worse.

As to plot vs. character, I'm not sure I like one better than the other. Though if a plot is excellent, I can overlook a lack of character development. And if the characterization is amazing, I can overlook some plot softness. And if book can do both, I'm a fan forever.

Jill Kemerer said...

It's always about the characters for me. If I don't care about the character, I won't care about the plot!

Wendy Paine Miller said...

Starts with character. Continues with character. Ends with character.

And I make sure there's a plot somewhere in there, too. ;-)
~ Wendy

Melissa Amateis said...

I've heard good things about Game of Thrones, but I simply don't have enough of an interest (or time!) to watch it right now. Of course, Mad Men only has one episode left and I may need another addiction... ;-)

Martin Willoughby said...

Never seen it. That said I don't watch TV at all.

As for books it depends on the writer. With a good writer it doesn't matter if its plot led oir character led, the story still triumphs.

Angela said...

I tend to think of my plot first and then work on the characters I think would make the plot work best. Game of Thrones looks interesting.

Jessica Nelson said...

Never heard of it, but I definitely focus on character...sometimes my plot can be too weak because of that, but I'm working on it. :) Have a great weekend!

ali cross said...

For me it depends on which story I'm writing. The Desolation series is totally character-driven. My JUMP BOYS stuff is plot-driven. And my others follow their own paths too. But I probably prefer to READ character-driven stories. :)

Michael Horvath said...

I focus on the characters first, but if the plot is bad then I lose it fast.

Stepping Out of the Page said...

Great post! I really need to start reading and watching Game of Thrones - I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't seen/read it! lol :) When reading or watching TV, I always think that the characters are the most important thing - if I don't connect with them, then I won't connect with the story.

New to your blog!
Steph @ Stepping Out of the Page

Stina said...

My husband bought the DVD for the first season. It in my To Be Watched pile, along with Downton Abbey (another series he bought the DVDs for).

I enjoy plot, but I still focus on characterization both when I read, write, or watch a movie/TV show.

Bonnee Crawford said...

I haven't seen Game of Thrones, or read the books, but I've heard it's quite good from a few people :) From this Inside the Episode thing, I can see why it would be such a good series, it sure looks interesting. Some nice character analysis stuff there, thanks for sharing! :)

Peggy Eddleman said...

It's definitely plot for me! Characters is one of the hardest things to nail down for me.