Monday, September 10, 2012

M.I.A. and playing to your strengths.

Sorry about missing my Friday Favorites post, but I was off for a girls weekend, playing soccer in Whitefish. Fun stuff. A little shopping, a lot of eating, more shopping, and a little soccer.

But all was not lost on the writing front this weekend. I did learn something. After one particular hard game I said to my team mate that we just need to get tougher and she replied, "We've playing this game for years now and we're not going to get any tougher (especially since we're all getting older  and we're quite a small team). We're not a tough team. We need to start playing to our strengths."

That was like a hammer hitting my head. Yes, it's good to try to improve and get out of your comfort zone, but sometimes you just need to figure out what you're good at and play to those strengths.

Now I just need to figure what that is.

On the soccer front - I think I'm good at passing, setting up plays and seeing the field.
What I need to work on - striking and long balls
On the writing front - I think I've got a good imagination and good ideas for stories
What I need to work on - a lot of things

How about you? Have you figured out what you're good at?

Happy Monday.

7 comments:

Wendy Paine Miller said...

Completely zoning in on what my husband and I are noticing about our middle child playing soccer. We finally figured out she's afraid of getting smacked with the ball or the ref blowing a whistle on her. Now that we know these things we are helping her build into the skills we've seen her use in the past.

Making me think today.
~ Wendy

Southpaw said...

Good advice. I figure I'm as tough (in everything) as I'm ever going to be too.

Jessica Nelson said...

Woot, woot for soccer! :) I'm good at sleeping. lol

Carolyn V said...

I love that advice! Hum...I'm good at making pancakes. They're so good. Now with writing? I still need to find my strength. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Patti! Good advice.

Jessie Oliveros said...

We'll work on our strengths together. I sent you emails about aliens and pirates today.

LTM said...

Hey! Great post and great advice! I think I know what my strength is, but I'm still perfecting my skills. I guess that's true for most of us. Sounds like a fun weekend! :o) <3